Mapledurham Estate comprises the main house, the watermill, St Margaret's Church and the dairy.
Mapledurham "the maple tree enclosure" appears in the Domesday Book as two manors, Mapledurham Gurney belonging to William de Warenne, while Milo Crispin, Lord of the honour of Wallingford, owned the smaller Mapledurham Chazey.
The Mill at Mapledurham is the only mill on the Thames still working and producing high-quality stone-ground flour. A mill was here at the time of the Domesday Survey. Click the picture for more information.
A church has existed on this site since Norman times, but the present church was begun in the late 13th century by William Bardolf the younger (d. 1289) and his wife Juliana de Gournay. Little original work is now visible since Butterfield's restoration of 1863. Click the picture for more information.